Thursday, October 28, 2010

J. Alfred Prufrock Has No Love Song...

"If I thought my answer were given
to anyone who would ever return to the world,
this flame would stand still without moving any further.
But since never from this abyss
has anyone ever returned alive, if what I hear is true
without fear of infamy I answer you."
~ Dante's Inferno, quoted by T.S. Eliot
to open The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Just let us go then, you and I 
As evening spreads against the sky 
Creeping through half-deserted streets 
Knowing where evening ladies meet.
       Do I dare? Do I dare?
Turn the talk from Michaelangelo 
Hell is what you referenced, no? 
Ever asking, "What is it?"
       Let us go and make our visit.
Rubs yellow fog upon the panes 
Indeed there will be time, you sang,  
Pleading, for you have known them all 
Pinned and wriggling on the wall.
Eyes fixed in mid-formulated phrase 
Revealing the evil of your ways.

Do you dare disturb the universe?
       Decisions a minute will reverse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!