Monday, October 11, 2010

Inked...

I am the oldest of three children in my family. And out of the three of us, I was definitely the one who gave my parents a run for their money. This is why it stands to reason I was always pegged as the one who would be tattooed and in all likelihood living with a band of gypsies. But wait just a minute...

My husband and children would never be classified as gypsies. And out of the three of us, I am the only one not sporting a tattoo.  My brother and sister both sport multiple ink art that looks really cool on them. In fact, I believe my sister once said to me, "Why don't you get one and we can all have one?" Uh...okay...no. See Mom, I wouldn't jump off a bridge even if all my friends (or siblings) were doing it!

The artwork my brother, sister, and sister-in-law have adorned themselves with is really amazing. What is more amazing to me is the pain they must have endured to wear it. I know, I know, they said it didn't hurt that bad. However, I try to avoid putting myself in any situation resulting in me being incessantly stabbed by needles, let alone paying someone copious amounts of cash to do so to me.

I have no prejudice against tattoos or anyone who wears them. And although I do not sport ink, I do not cotton to those who put down others who do. I admire my brother, sister, and sister-in-law and love them very much ~ to each their own. This artwork signifies something important to the person who allows their body to become a canvas. Several people I know have chosen this venue as a way to commemorate milestones in their lives. Others have a message to proclaim and proudly do so unabashedly (though in truth some "messages" I've seen could really stand some abashed.) Still, it truly makes me sad when I hear of anyone being labeled for any reason, let alone for wearing indelible art. Life is to short to judge.

Personally, I know it is not for me because I do not want to see a pretty little rose embellished on my chest become a sheath of wheat as gravity continues to take over and drag it to lower extremities. I am too vain to watch a pretty little scroll positioned on my back just above my waistline become a billboard if my lack of Pilates ever catches up to me. That's not artwork; that's just gross.

It is my understanding once one acquires their first tattoo they want to add more. See, I already have this with dark chocolate and wine; adding tattoos to the mix will only add chaos to an already unstable situation.

I have been asked what would I do if my children ever want a tattoo. Well, how should I know? I don't even know what I'm wearing to work tomorrow, I can't be worrying about they may want to wear years from now for the rest of their lives.

But I do know this...just as I don't judge a book by its cover, I am not going to judge a person by their illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!