Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Down, Down The Rabbit Hole...

I need to preface this by admitting I am a political neophyte. What I know of politics could fit into a thimble and is most likely derived from whatever I gleaned from "The Daily Show." That being said...

It is my understanding that when the Tea Party first came to town, the idea was to raise the torch of our forefathers in the spirit of the Boston Tea Party. Fed up with taxation without representation, Americans once more cried, "Enough!" and headed for the harbor to take back our government. Initially this seemed to be a noble cause.

However, now the Tea Party seems a little less Boston and a lot more Alice In Wonderland. We are falling down the rabbit hole and forced to go around and around the table in the most farcical of situations. Curiouser and curiouser...

Though I believe Tom Petty has provided the BEST Mad Hatter to date (see "Don't Come Around Here No More") I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Sarah Palin is genuinely Mad as a Hatter. Touted as the "undisputed favorite" of the tea party, she gets to wear the big hat and pour out the tea. "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?" Although this must be credited to Lewis Carroll, the logic of our Alaskan Mad Hatter surely applies as she continues going rogue.

In addition to the Mad Hatter, we have the Rabbit who scurries around a day late and a dollar short. Christine O'Donnell may not really be a rabbit, but when she was a witch she could have turned you into one. Oh, didn't you know? She used to be a witch. And she actually admits it. Like the rabbit running to and fro proclaiming "I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date, no time to say hello goodbye I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!" if we listen in closely we can hear Ms. O'Donnell:

Just Wait, Oh, Wait
With your votes I will be great!
I have no time to justify
(I really thought that I could fly)
With eye of newt and a frog's tongue
I should be your chosen one!

Wikipedia describes the Rabbit's personality as follows: "Overall, the White Rabbit seems to shift back and forth between pompous behavior toward his underlings, such as his servants (read: media), and grovelling, obsequious behavior toward his superiors, such as the Duchess and King and Queen of Hearts (read: Sarah Palin), in direct contrast to Alice, who is reasonably polite to everyone she meets" (read: us.) I rest my case...

Rounding out the tea party we find the Dormouse, Carl Palladino. Mr. Palladino, when you read this (and you will read this) you must understand at this point the rest of the Tea Party is desperately trying to shove you back into the tea pot. Just go back to sleep...we'll wake you when it's over.

Scary to think we all must head to the polls in a few weeks to chose who we want to represent us. As the Duchess explained to Alice, "Tut, tut, child! Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it." Good luck to us as we endeavor to search. But in the meantime, I wish a very happy unbirthday to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!