Sunday, October 17, 2010

All You Need Is Love...

Tonight was my turn to open Faith Formation for Grades 7, 8, and 9 with prayer and an activity. And let me tell you, these kids made my heart sing.

I asked them to take an index card and write across the top "I am wonderful because...". Then a moment was given to write down as many things as they could about how wonderful they are.

Happily, the majority of them got right down to business filling up this card. For a few, it was a bit of a trial. Why is it so hard for us to see the wonderful gifts God has given us? Yes, humility is necessary. But how can we take these amazing gifts and do amazing things with them if we don't at least acknowledge, let alone give thanks for them?

By the time they were ready to proclaim one thing that makes them wonderful, my heart began to sing. Yes, there were one or two who tried to make a joke out of it. But in the end, the joke was on them. Most of the students stood and proclaimed, "I am wonderful because {fill in the blank}." Some admitted their academic abilities, some are proud to be great friends, some are kind to others, some are great artists, some are dancers, some are athletes, some are wonderful because they are alive. It was an amazing sight to see.

After the proclamations, I shared multiple scriptures to substantiate their thoughts. Regardless of the passage or verse, the message remains the same: God loves us. Every one of us, with our quirks, our talents, our moods, our dreams. He loves us.

So stop for a moment and proclaim to yourself, "I am wonderful because...". Now take these gifts that make you wonderful and let your light shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!