Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What's Your Damage, Heather...


I don't care what anyone says, I have adored Winona Ryder for like, I don't know...forever.

The first movie I ever saw her in was Heathers and to this day I will watch this movie anytime I get the opportunity. This is where my fascination began, with her defiant, "Lick it up, baby...lick...it...up!" From that moment I thought she could do no wrong.


However, in the name of "get them before they get you" I would be remiss not to mention her little, ahem, shopping escapade ten years ago that quickly and sadly overshadowed her great work. But really, folks, while I am not justifying Winona's actions by any means, don't they pale in comparison to the LiLo's, Miley's, Charlie Sheen's, and Brittney's of today? Enough of that...


Winona's portrayal in Age of Innocence was amazing. She was perfect as May Welland who seems so sweet and innocent but once she gets that ring on her finger is actually quite a manipulative little thing. This is another wonderful film that begs a shout out to my pal, Paul, as this is also a Pfeiffer Film.


From Edward Scissorhands to Great Balls of Fire to the almighty Girl Interrupted starring some other actress who escapes me but this film made her career (yes, I know it's Angelina Jolie, but let's keep it all about Winona tonight) the movie credits go on and on. She held her own with Cher in Mermaids, not to mention that kiss with Gary Oldman in Bram Stokers Dracula.


I was over-the-moon thrilled to see Winona in this month's Elle magazine discussing her role in Black Swan. Reading her interview, she is exactly as I picture her to be...well read, a bit quirky, and happy to be the age she is. She embraces life and will not waste her time doing anything she doesn't want to do. I wouldn't expect anything less from the God-daughter of Timothy Leary.


She is not your typical blonde-hair-blue-eyes-stick-thin-can-act-but-not-come-up-with-an-original-thought type of woman. She is beautiful, she is poised, and she knows who she is. And I can't wait to see what she does next.

5 comments:

  1. And she was the best "Jo" in "Little Women"--you have seen that too, right? I adore that movie. xxBliss

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a soft spot for Winona ever since she did Mermaids with Cher and Christina Ricci.
    She was amazing alongside La Pfeiffer in The Age Of Innocence, that's my favourite film of hers,for obvious reasons and like you I'm looking forward to watching her work in the years to come.
    Once again thanks for the shout out Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted her messy pixie cut but was never brave enough to take the chop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. F*** me gently with a chainsaw, just the title of your post me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at Heathers. If I was to watch that movie right now, I could quote all the dialogue at the same time. It's a talent.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!