Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Oh Maureen...I Wish You Would Have Called...


Oh, the inhumanity of it all. It's like my lottery numbers came in and the state said, "Oh, sorry, we know you have always wanted this, but your ticket was from last week. You seem to be a day late and a dollar short. So sorry - you are the weakest link. Good bye!"

This is the same kick-in-the-gut feeling I got when I learned that Maureen Dowd is coming to my area THIS THURSDAY! She is speaking at a location 25 minutes from my house! And the admission - FREE! Can you believe this?!

And here is the situation...I can't go. I can't go because guilt is a horrible cloak that weighs tons and is not easily shed.

I have been lobbying for Maureen to be my BFF for I don't know, like, FOREVER! Her snark, her wit, her intelligence...I know....I'm gushing. But c'mon! This is how I learn what is going on in politics; Maureen covers current events with the blush of satire. And I love it. Not to mention she is great inspiration for this aspiring Pulitzer Prize winner.

But I have a professor who is working closely with me this semester to maintain a 4.0 average as I simultaneous work at a job I absolutely love. His class is held Thursday evenings from 6:00 - 9:00, three recent classes of which yours truly has missed. And I have a daughter who informed me this evening she has a concert on Thursday where she plays the flute and sings in the choir. Bye-bye Maureen.

Of course, next Thursday there is no class and no concerts and no obligations. And no Maureen. So Maureen, when you read this (and you will read this) call me; we'll do lunch. You were the one who said, "The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for. " Just so you know...I don't settle; my aspirations are out of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!