Thursday, March 3, 2011

Servant Song...


One of the many aspects I love about my faith is the beautiful music we worship to. And there are a multitude of these hymns and lyrical prayers I can associate with different parts of my life. One of my favorites was really on my mind today.

The first line of The Servant Song by Richard Gillard asks if you will let me be your servant, let me be as Christ to you. What an amazing thought! I truly believe most people strive to be this for one another, consciously or not, wanting to help make someone's day a bit brighter. Even if I am wrong, my ignorance keeps my world a happier place to be.

But it is the next line that really moves me: "Pray that I may have the grace to let you be my servant, too." Ah...therein lies the rub. I don't know about you, but I find it much easier to be needed than the one in need. And it does take tremendous grace in our world to admit we can't go it alone..sometimes we need someone to lean on. At the very least, pour us a glass of wine and just listen.

Too often our days get so busy we forget that for the most part, we are all working towards the same goals -  to love, to be loved, to spend our time endeavoring that which is meaningful to us, and feel like we have made some contribution to make our world a better place. Regardless of religion, this seems to be the core of what gets most of us out of bed in the morning.

Someone who has become very dear to me is enduring a lot of heartache right now watching family members suffer in their health. I relayed my thought how God never gives us more than we can handle, I just wish sometimes He didn't trust us so much. As The Servant Song relays, "We are here to help each other/Walk the mile and bear the load." I am with you, my friend, and I hope in some small way it helps.

Yesterday I shared how my friend spent time with me for no other reason than he cares. And God gave me the grace of humility me to listen and receive. Today was a very productive day for me...and The Servant Song played over and over in my head. If you are familiar with it, please take a moment to enjoy it again. If you have never had the joyful experience...here is a gift for you.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this, Beth. You are a sweetheart.

    Big, big hug,

    A

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!