Monday, March 14, 2011

Go To Bed, Sleepy Head...


I don't know about you, but this whole spring ahead with the clocks knocks me for a loop.

Yesterday I awoke bright and early and thought, well, this isn't so bad! I am awake, I am refreshed, bring on the new day!

Now it must be acknowledged that I have a lot of energy. A lot. So much that I am pretty sure if ADHD was around when I was a kid my picture would have illustrated the medical book definition. Hyper, hyper, hyper - see "Beth." For "off the charts" please see "Beth on Coffee." I think Twitchy from Hoodwinked can give you a good idea of a day in the life:


By now I am sure you have mustered copious amounts of sympathy for my husband and two Directors, all three of whom are as calm and collected as the Wolf (voiced by Patrick Warburton - aka "Puddy" from Seinfeld. Awesome!) Anyway, don't worry...they're used to it. In fact, I am pretty sure all three of them habitually tune me out. I don't mind; I'm sure it's self-preservation, but I digress...

Today I am dragging. When my alarm went off this morning my brain screamed at me. "Are you an idiot?! It's pitch black outside! Why are we up! Go back to sleep!" Alas, this was not to be and my body, totally convinced it was really 4:30 a.m. and not 5:30 a.m. as the clock so rudely pronounced in violent beaming red lights, revolted. I fell asleep standing up in the shower. Luckily the curtain was there to break my fall. And just so you know, it is amazing how one who has never done a split in her life can accomplish one perfectly when falling out of a shower onto a tile floor. I'll be feeling that one tomorrow, I'm sure.

I'm also quite sure the genius who came up with the five-day-work-week/two-day weekend scenario is the same genius who one day said to himself (side note: I am really confident it's a himself and not herself), "It would be tremendous fun to see how much we can mess with the human psyche. Let's give these sillies an extra hour in the Fall, and just as they get used to the change, we'll take it back again! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!" (Cue maniacal laugh here.)

When I was a child my Dad used to get annoyed with me and say, "Go to bed! You're tired!" I was positive he knew absolutely nothing about me as I fell asleep sitting up while plotting my revenge. Regardless if I am getting punch-drunk from lack of sleep or just too tired to care, I am going to bed. I don't think I can handle beginning another day Mary Lou Retton style.

At least, not before I've had my coffee.


5 comments:

  1. Oh it totally throws me off too! I was dreading it all week and suggested to my co-workers that we spring ahead at 12pm on Friday rather than over the weekend so we lose an hour of work rather than an hour of my weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough, this "spring-forward" hasn't bothered me too much - but the fall change really did a number on me (which is weird because we "gain" an hour), I was off for about a week.
    I hope you can acclimate quicker than that...falling asleep in the shower cannot be a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in the U.K. the clocks don't go forward till the end of March so I've still got this to look forward to.
    As if getting up for work at 4.30 am six days a week and working five weeks on and one week off wasn't messing with my body clock already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that it is staying lighter later. I took a walk with Rockefeller last night about 7:30, the sun was setting and it was beautiful out. I just get more anxious for Spring!! xxBliss

    @Paul--we had an unfortunate time change fiasco in Spring 2003 when we left the USA on the day of our time change but flew home from Scotland/London the day after yours--it changed everything on our flights (meaning we missed our flight home). Thankfully the airlines found us a flight home but it was crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our clocks don't move forward for another week and half, so for two weeks, I'm only five hours ahead of my Dad in Boston instead of six, and only six hours ahead of my Mom in Texas instead of seven. It confuses the hell out of me.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!