Sunday, March 6, 2011

Never Underestimate The Power Of A Great Shoe...


I got the look the other day. The "just how many pairs of shoes does one person need" look. The "why do you need so many pairs of black shoes" stare. What can I say? One pair of shoes does not a wardrobe make.

Yes, I am a shoe snob. I lean towards the Nine Wests and the Anne Kleins and the Liz Claibornes but with my cheap state of mind I only purchase said luxuries when an amazing sale presents itself. I would have a closet filled with Manolo Blahniks if I ever found them on sale, but that dream has yet to become a reality. And all of you at creating the beautiful wearable art for Christian Louboutin, when you read this (and you will read this) I am not too proud to beg. Send me a pity pair of Maudissimas in Nude, American size 8.

For me, accessories and a great pair of shoes are the coup de grace of a killer outfit. The feeling I experience from knowing I am pulled together from head to toe is indescribable. Please do not get me wrong - it is not my main focus or center of being. But knowing I am putting my best self forward allows me to concentrate my  energies elsewhere.

This is something I have tried to teach my children as well. You only have one opportunity to make a first impression. Also, this does not need to cost one copious amounts of money. As Adrienne, Bliss, Tish, and Fiona have shared, when our closet is in control, we know what we have, we know what works for us, and we know what we like, we tend to make smarter choices. Less purchases, but more meaningful ones.

Nevertheless...never underestimate the power of a great shoe. If you don't believe me, just look what it did for Cinderella. And she lived happily ever after.

2 comments:

  1. Beth,

    I wore my black 3" Calvin Klein toe cleavage pumps all day yesterday - my back actually is sore today because I'm usually in flatter shoes.
    While wearing them with a pair of dark trouser jeans, a plain v-neck black T and a hot, hot pink trench coat, I felt instantly more confident, more chic and more feminine because of those shoes. They were one of my smarter wardrobe purchases. I'm loving them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoes complete every outfit and they say so much about the person wearing them. It's amazing how wearing a great shoe can improve my mood :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!