Sunday, December 19, 2010

Let The Children Come To Me...


Today, the last Sunday of Advent, is Youth Day in our Church. This means the Mass is led by one of the Faith Formation grades; the students are the greeters, ushers, gift-bearers, Lectors, etc. Today was my class's turn to lead the Mass.

If I haven't said it before, I am really proud of these teens. They are freshman in high school and I have to tell you, are so much more in touch with world than I was at their age. As the last candle on the Advent wreath was lit, I looked over at my class and my heart swelled...it has truly been a blessing walking with them these past years.

As the Lectors proclaimed the readings and the petitions, I realized how much more powerful the words are coming from the mouths of the young. There is hope within the Scripture that sometimes gets lost in the adult world most of us reside. The innocence of the youth relays Christ's message with the pure joy it was intended. I wish every Sunday could be Youth Day...the impact is truly amazing.

Perhaps this is why Christ said: “Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” (Luke 18:15-17). Indeed, I have learned as much from them as they have from me.

So to my students who blessed the parish family today with your presence, I thank you. To those parents who endeavor to nourish their child's relationship with God, I thank you.  

And now I shall forgo busy work, play a game with my children, and spend this last Sunday of Advent in peaceful reflection until this evening when we come together for our last Faith Formation class of 2010. Let the children come to me; I still have plenty to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!