Saturday, December 18, 2010

Faster Than A Speeding Bullet...


Faster than a speeding bullet...more powerful than a locomotive...able to tear down in a single bound...unfortunately, it's not a bird, or a train, or even a superhero in blue tights. It's my mouth. And it has a tendency to engage before my brain.

Recently someone very important to me was sharing his exciting news of the opportunity to meet someone he thinks very highly of. I, while happy for him and the opportunity, do not share said enthusiasm for said person. Here would be when I should have smiled and left the room. Oh, no...not me...

"Thanks for taking the wind out of my sails," he said. Oof, that was a kick to the gut. I felt horrible.

"How would you feel if someone said something about someone you care about, like Mother Theresa?" Double oof...knocked the breath right out of me. Not to mention the fact it physically hurt to realize I annoyed someone I think so highly of.

The irony of this situation was not lost on me as later in the evening I was trying to educate my daughter to filter, filter, filter. I actually felt guilt holding her to task in light of my earlier conversation. This is the problem with opinionated people...we firmly believe everyone is interested in what we have to say.

Alas, I am back to the drawing board, and must give a "thank you" to Max Lucado and his eternal wisdom. Max says, "I choose gentleness... Nothing is won by force. I choose to be gentle. If I raise my voice may it be only in praise. If I clench my fist, may it be only in prayer. If I make a demand, may it be only of myself. " If I endeavor to hold onto this wisdom, there will be no room to hurt anyone.

Luckily, Max also says, "God loves you just the way you are, but He refuses to leave you that way. He wants you to be just like Jesus. " Armed with this knowledge, there may be hope for me yet.

1 comment:

  1. My mother always tells me that I lack a filter. I really need to work on that.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!