Tuesday, April 19, 2011

To Thine Own Self Be True...


Some time ago I purchased this lovely little book adorned in Tiffany Blue on a whim. First published in 1964, it is interesting how some of its content has stood the test of time.

My dear friend, Bliss, is in the midst of a wonderful series of life lessons originally published in 1948. And again, it is amazing how some of the ideas have endured. Even more amazing is the longing to return to a time when these lessons were the norm, not the exception.

One section I would like to share from Madame Dariaux's guidebook on elegance is Personality.

The first line states, "To be elegant is first of all to know oneself, and to know oneself well requires a certain amount of reflection and intelligence." Interesting concept. To me this translates into a true examination of self. What do we cherish? What do we hold true? Where is the line of intolerance? What do we fight for? How do we choose to entertain ourselves? What do we read? Do we read? How do we spend our solitude? Who do we spend our time with? Without possessing the answers how can we go out into the world and represent ourselves?

The next paragraph advises, "It requires a certain strength of character in order to disengage your own personality from the setting or entourage that may confine it." This gives us permission to step away from the  crowd and be ourselves. This gives me permission to sing out loud in joy, to give people I adore a hug and a kiss hello, to laugh at myself and allow others to join me, to love with a heart sans boundaries or borders.

The section closes with the wisdom, "Personality means knowing everything about oneself. Once a woman has defined her personality she will find it easier to achieve not only elegance but also happiness." Boiled down, for me this means to thine own self be true. All the quirks, all the nuances, all the good as well as the bad. In retrospect, the women I have seen exuding elegance are true to themselves and have been, at their very core, happy.

I can do happy. Truth is, I'm not very good being someone else...but I'm pretty good at being me.

8 comments:

  1. I would love to read this book. I love this:

    "Longing to return to a time when these lessons were the norm, not the exception."

    Fabulous and true :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...traigo
    sangre
    de
    la
    tarde
    herida
    en
    la
    mano
    y
    una
    vela
    de
    mi
    corazón
    para
    invitarte
    y
    darte
    este
    alma
    que
    viene
    para
    compartir
    contigo
    tu
    bello
    blog
    con
    un
    ramillete
    de
    oro
    y
    claveles
    dentro...


    desde mis
    HORAS ROTAS
    Y AULA DE PAZ


    COMPARTIENDO ILUSION
    BETH

    CON saludos de la luna al
    reflejarse en el mar de la
    poesía...




    ESPERO SEAN DE VUESTRO AGRADO EL POST POETIZADO DE MEMORIAS DE AFRICA , CHAPLIN MONOCULO NOMBRE DE LA ROSA, ALBATROS GLADIATOR, ACEBO CUMBRES BORRASCOSAS, ENEMIGO A LAS PUERTAS, CACHORRO, FANTASMA DE LA OPERA, BLADE RUUNER ,CHOCOLATE Y CREPUSCULO 1 Y2.

    José
    Ramón...

    ReplyDelete
  3. José Ramón's lovely words translated (according to Google translate)

    Gracias! Gracias! Gracias, José Ramón!

    ... bring
    blood
    of
    the
    later
    wound
    in
    the
    hand
    and
    a
    Sailing
    of
    my
    heart
    for
    invite
    and
    give
    this
    soul
    that
    comes
    for
    share
    you
    your
    beautiful
    Blog
    with
    a
    nosegay
    of
    gold
    and
    Carnations
    inside ...


    from my
    BROKEN HOURS
    PEACE AND CLASSROOM


    SHARING ILLUSION
    BETH

    WITH regards to the moon
    reflected in the sea of
    poetry ...




    I HOPE YOUR PLEASURE IS IN THE POST Poetess MEMORY OF AFRICA, CHAPLIN MONOCULAR NAME OF THE ROSE, ALBATROS GLADIATOR, HOLLY Wuthering Heights, ENEMY AT THE GATES, CUB, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, BLADE Ruun, CHOCOLATE AND TWILIGHT 1 Y2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Beth, thank you for the mention. I also own this book (and a copy of the original)--love it! I think because I was reading/referencing these type of books so often--and finding that many fellow bloggers also hold similar libraries and interests--I felt compelled to do this series. If the majority of people around us refuse to live by manners, good graces and a level of refinement that doesn't mean we have to. And how nice to find a community of people who share the same values--even if we can't be neighbors. : (. xxBliss

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth: Hello, lovely! I stopped by to thank you for following Ooh La Frou Frou and to let you know that anytime anyone leaves a comment, I leave a little response afterward in comments and one awaits you for next time you're around! http://tiny.cc/dmro9

    I LOVE the little Guide to Elegance too! It sits in my studio with other books that I use for reference! Isn't it adorable? And the fact that it's that pretty tiffany blue is a side benefit! ;) xoxo So nice to meet you!

    Sandy at Ooh La Frou Frou
    http://oohlafroufrou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth -

    I've meant to read your blog for a while as we seem to read so many of the same blogs (Bliss, fojoy, etc.).

    I picked up this book five years ago, and it really changed my life. It is the Style Bible for me, not just for clothes, but how to live an elegant life. I reinterpreted the clothing pieces to fit my lifestyle at the time, but the overall layout of conducting yourself in an elegant, ladylike manner is timeless. And sorely lacking today...

    Enjoy reading the book; I revisit it twice a year to remind myself of the person I want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Beth, I don't own the book, but I just found your blog and want to say I like your quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is so much truth and beauty in the words within this book -- I must find a copy! Thank you for sharing this with us, Beth.

    I hope you are having a fabulous weekend,
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!