Monday, April 11, 2011

Oh, There's Something Blowin' In The Wind Alright...

Leave it to my BFF, Maureen Dowd, to call it like she sees it. This is one of the things I love about Maureen...icon or not she is gonna call you out if you get in her cross hairs.

You've got a lot of nerve, to say you are my friend, when I was down, you just stood there grinnin'...

Just ask Bob Dylan. Maureen discovered Bob is not really a crunchy-radical-folk-singing-stick-it-to-the-Man-and-the-establishment-the-times-they-are-a-changin'-working-class-hero when he let the Chinese government determine his play-list rather than be the radical he was known to be in the sixties. And she called him out. If you didn't read her thoughts, I encourage you to do so...Maureen never disappoints.

You say I let you down, you know it's not like that...

I must confess I have never been a huge Dylan fan. Most of his music sounds like, "innna innnna innnna ah, innna innna innna ah" to me...but what do I know. To many, he was the voice of a generation; a mover and a shaker as rock-n-roll was giving a voice to the masses. How sobering to learn he never identified with this role...he was merely pulling a "Jerry Maguire" "Show me the money" thirty years before it was popular, so I guess this actually makes him not only a sell-out but a visionary to boot. That's called multi-tasking, my friends.

You just want to be on the side that's winning...

Of course, I may need to have my girl Maureen's back as she got a throw-down via Elizabeth Lynch in today's Huffington Post to lay off Dylan and use her New York Times column "to raise the plights of China's rights-defenders in the American consciousness instead of relegating it to two sentences in a column that is otherwise a critique of Dylan." This is just like grade school! Fight! Fight! Fight! Be careful, Ms. Lynch. You may know your legal law and development in China, but Maureen ain't no new kid on the block.

You say you lost your faith, but that's not where it's at. You had no faith to lose, and you know it...

I guess it is always good to know the truth. Then we can get on with reality. Dylan never intended to be a mover and a shaker...according to Maureen it was a label adhered to him early in the game and it kept the checks rolling in. 

If I was a master thief, perhaps I'd rob them...

Gee, Bob, I'd say you just did, if an entire generation can be called "them." So there it is. Just please don't tell me Jim Morrison was never really a poet or Jimi Hendrix wasn't actually a left-handed genius. I can't take any more truth today. "Positively 4th Street" or positively easy street, I've had all the truth I care for in one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!