Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Things That Make You Go Hmmm.......

Sometimes I wonder if  this stuff comes up in my world just so I have new ridiculousness to ponder upon...

Yesterday morning I was listening to the "Today" show as I was getting ready for work. Matt, Ann, and Meredith had special reports, flashy graphics, and alternate locations to report on NBC's "Education Nation." I figured this must be pretty dire...an entire show dedicated to the educational downfall of our country. I was bracing myself for the worse as they set me up for data based on declining graduation statistics, skyrocketing drop-out rates, fewer college degrees being awarded, no work for our graduates who actually stick it out and earn degrees, foreign students coming to America to be educated only to return to their home countries - this was serious stuff. Or so I thought.

After the set-up they actually said...and I am NOT making this up..."but first, to Lindsay Lohan, who violated her parole after testing positive for cocaine and found herself back in jail. After sitting in a cell for several hours she was released on $300,000 bail. Sources say she is admitting herself to rehab because she is tired of living this way."

Hmmmm.....

This, of course, is paraphrased to the best of my re-collection because I could not give a rat's patootie about Lindsay Lohan. However, the fact NBC found this to be more pressing news than the educational deterioration of our country was enough to make me turn the television off and cancel my membership to the Matt Lauer fan club. Matt, you'll miss me when I'm gone...

Perhaps this personifies why we are declining educationally in America. Remember folks, No Child Left Behind (NCLB) was created by a man who could not properly articulate the English language. Side note to Dubya: "dudn't" is not a word, plural nouns need verbs to match, and until you have a command of the English language you should not be allowed to set the standards for our youth. And no, I didn't "misunderestimate" you, to use your own jargon.

The days are gone for those who were just not cut out for school getting a job as a laborer, or with the State, or someplace where Dad or an uncle has worked for years and could get you in. Back in the day, if one landed a job like this, he or she was pretty much set for life. These are trying times; we need to figure out where we're going and how we're going to get there.

Hmmmm....

If the media really wants to be part of the solution, stop shoving socialite brats and their inability to cope with all the privileges life has given them down our throats and start presenting quality information we can actually
swallow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!