Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Going Au Natural...

I bet that caught some attention!

It was several years ago I decided to go for it...what's the worse that could happen? Someone laughs at me? Makes fun of me? Finds me shocking? Well, I can assure you to date I have experienced none of the above. The only person not pleased with my actions is my dear daddy, but more on that later...

It finally got to the point I was tired of it all. I would obtain fleeting satisfaction only to be forced back for more. Very quickly I found myself going less and less times between fixes. This habit was getting expensive, was not enjoyable, and was not healthy. What to do?

I had a parting of the ways with Miss Clairol. To answer L'Oreal, yes I am definitely worth it. However, the amount I was spending on hair color and touch-ups could buy A LOT of shoes. Plus, how cool did Meryl Streep look sans hair color in "The Devil Wears Prada"? If Meryl could do this, gosh darn it then I could to.

Once I made the decision to go au natural, the work began. At the time I was growing my hair long (aspiring to beautiful, tousled, blown-in-the-wind, just-rolled-out-of-bed locks that never transpired) and waiting for the color to grow out was traumatic. At one point I was striped! And every woman knows that horizontal stripes are never flattering, especially when framing one's head. So off it came - every bit of it. Constantly aspiring to Audrey Hepburn, I went pixie. Finally, I was getting somewhere!

Now I am at a point where I am pleased with my bold look. I get many compliments on my grey hair which I am happy to accept - I earned every one of them. The only person who has unabashedly told me it is not a good look is my Dad, but I think I know why. I imagine it is not easy to see your child look so old distinguished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!