Sunday, September 12, 2010

Go To Your Room!

One day long, long ago my daughter was in a mood. I emphatically suggested she go to her room and take a nap as she was in obvious need of some down time.

As she proceeded up the stairs, she turned on her little heel and demanded, "Why don't the Moms ever get sent to THEIR rooms?"

Oh my stars - REALLY?! I would LOVE for someone to banish me to my room!

I have come to the realization there is nothing as luxurious as a nice nap on a dreary Saturday or Sunday afternoon. A roast is in the oven, laundry is in the washer, everyone is settled about the home, and all is right with the world.

There was a time when I would try to nap, but Guilt would eventually creep in whispering little messages of doom in my ear: "You really should go wash the windows" or "you really should go play with the children" or "you really should go doing something a little less self-centered." I would toss and turn before eventually dragging myself back up to go accomplish some menial task. Snotty little thing, that Guilt.

Now I give myself permission to kick Guilt to the curb as I crawl underneath my comforter and sink into the pillows. Usually I will have a book or turn on a Turner Classic Movie with all intentions of drifting off within minutes. I wake up refreshed and ready to tackle the week ahead...or at least stay up late enough to watch "Mad Men." I am a much better person for indulging myself and no longer look at it as selfish wasted time.

However, for all of you who find Guilt has abandoned my shoulder and climbed onto yours to whisper miscreant messages in your ear, brush him away with an indignant slap. Seize the day and go to your room!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!