Thursday, February 23, 2012

Better Than I Know Myself...


I know there are angels among us...I feel their presence every day. But I have an amazing angel who knows me better than I know myself. She's my fashion angel.

I am no neophyte when it comes to the fashion pool, although my tastes tend to run more towards the classic  side of things. You know, the little black dress, the black stilettos, the navy blazer and Chanel-style jackets with ropes of pearls. This is where my fashion angel steps in and shakes it up a bit.

Last summer my fashion angel introduced me to a pair of kitten-heel slides in metallic soft pink and black python-style leather. She said, "These would like amazing on you," as I thought to myself, "Gee, I'm really sorry to see your eyesight go and such, but if you say so." Not being one to be rude, I slid them on and...oh...my...stars. I love these shoes! They dress up a little black skirt in ways you can't even imagine and  punch up any outfit I wear them with to unbelievable heights. Plus, I feel like a Rock Star in them. Score one for my fashion angel.

So last night my fashion angel tapped her magic wand on me again. This time she presented me with a fur lined denim jacket. Yes, you read that right...a fur lined denim jacket. I slid that jacket on and thought for sure I could never pull this off. Well guess what? I can and I did! Today I paired that little bit of luxury with a black skirt, turtleneck, tights, and suede boots and felt like a million dollars! It is a wonderful thing when we can still surprise ourselves. And that's not all...

After the jacket came a pair of leather pants. I am not kidding...black lambskin pants. I took one look and thought, "Oh, no way. I am 42 years old. I am a Mom of three teenagers. There is no way these are even going to fit." But I said thank you and brought them home with me. Let me tell you...

I came home and looked at those pants. Then I laid them across my bed. I looked at them again and thought, "Well, maybe when I was eighteen and planned to be a back up dancer for Motley Crue, but I really don't see this happening." Then I tried them on. 

All I can say is thank you to the hobbit-sized lamb who gave it up for me to look this good in a pair of pants because oh my stars...they fit like they were made for me. And I don't mean the who-in-the-fresh-h$%*-is-she-trying-to-kid-she-has-three-children-take-those-trashy-pants-off-you-idiot kind of way. I mean in the put-on-my-heels-and-white-button-up-shirt-with-a-slash-of-red-lipstick-this-is-a-classic-with-a-new-twist kind of way. 

It was about this time when I started working my inner Gwen Stefani singing the only words I know to Let Me Blow Ya' Mind (and yup, those would be the only words. Pretty much it sounds like ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-it's-only-been-a-year-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-and-I'm-not-goin'-nowhere-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-now let me blow ya' mind...but I digress...) Anyway, this is when my son walked in on me gettin' down with my bad self in my new leather pants. Score one for the fashion angel and one for yet another topic during his inevitable therapy sessions someday.

It's a wonderful thing when one can still surprise oneself. Now if you're so inclined, kick it back with Gwen and Eve and blow ya' mind...

Not since Ms. Monroe has anyone rocked the red lipstick like Gwen...
let's hear it for the girl and the guts to dress outside the box. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!