Thursday, September 1, 2011

They Hate Working Moms, Don't They...


First of all, I have tremendous respect for all Moms...married moms, single moms, outside-of-the-home-working moms, stay-at-home-working moms...all of us have the most challenging and rewarding job in the world.

But I am pretty sure "they" hate outside-of-the-home working moms.
You know, the elusive "they" who always seem to do all the talking and make all the decisions. For example, I forced suggested my children each play a Fall sport. It is important for them to learn about teamwork and strive to be physically fit. Great idea! Then "they" got involved....

"They" start practices more than two weeks before school begins. From 9AM - 10:30 AM. So basically, my weeks have spent intricately pulling my hair out orchestrating carpools and rides back and forth so as not to miss any practices. All had gone swell until my daughters came home bubbling over with the news it is time for the first match (both play tennis...I am hoping to have a future Serena and Venus in our midst so I can retire and my girls can cart my fanny around, but I digress.) 

"You're gonna come see us, right Mom? Right?" Sure! When is it? 

"Friday at 11 AM."

Of course it is...

Couple this with the fact the uniforms were doled out yesterday with instructions to purchase shorts to wear underneath the tennis skirts in time for the first match...which is when? Say it with me...tomorrow. "They" really know how to keep me on my toes.

This is reminiscent of when my young 'uns were in the elementary grades and plays, poetry cafes, and the like were held for students to highlight their talents, writing and speaking skills. The little ones worked and worked and worked then put on a reception to spend time the attendees. The time? 2PM. Yup, right smack dab in the middle of the afternoon. 

When my oldest was in elementary school, there was a period of time when from 9:00-9:30 AM on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays the entire student body would come together for community time. Moms and Dads were invited and if a student saw Mom or Dad they got to go in front of the school and introduce their guest/visitor. I was a stay-at-home Mom at this point, so when my son asked me to come I was happy to oblige. The first time I saw the introductions I thought, "How sweet." The second time I thought, "This seems to be all the same people as the last time I was here." Quickly I came to realize it was always the same Moms and Dads being introduced, always the same kids getting to stand up and share, and always the same children searching the back of the room with hopes this may be the day Mom or Dad actually got to come be introduced even though deep down they knew it wasn't. It really broke my heart for these little ones, not to mention the working Moms and Dads who could not be there for their child.

"They" must know the struggle Moms face being at work while longing to be with our precious angels, not to mention the guilt of work left undone when we take time off to attend these milestones. This elusive "they" really gets under my skin sometimes. 

Our youngest daughter came in just as I was finishing these thoughts and asked what I was ranting about sharing tonight. As I told her she kissed me on the nose and gave me a hug. "I think you're a great Mom," she said. This warmed up my heart...

What do "they" know anyway?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!