Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Impressions and Discretions ...


Today I was in a conversation where I asked a really cool co-worker if she rides motorcycles. She looked at me incredulously and asked, "Do I look like I ride motorcycles?" I asked her, "Do I?"

She looked at me and said, "Nope...no you don't. I can't see it." Well guess what, boys and girls...

This struck me as funny because I guess the idea of short and underdeveloped me on the back of a Harley was just too much. Now truth be told it has been awhile since I climbed on, but boy do I really miss it.

It is probably much easier to believe I have the complete catalog of ABBA songs and can sing along with all of them (which I do and can.) This got me thinking again why first impressions are so important. Choosing not to put it all out there and selecting what to share about ourselves and who we share it with could very well be a lost art (read: I am still on my mission to bring discretion back to the masses.) 

Another friend in the conversation asked me if I have the leather, to which I replied, "Of course! I'm too delicate to endure road rash!" Looking at me as if I was crazy, he asked if I had rivets up and down the arms. Tsk, tsk, tsk...I never said I was Rob Halford...I just don't want to feel like I've been shot when a bug slams into me at 55 mph.

No disrespect, Rob...I'm a fan of JP and all but I don't want to look like the "Village People"...

Somehow this lead into the music we listen to, my eclectic taste, and my lust appreciation for Scott Weiland and Stone Temple Pilots. This was a great conversation as I learned new things about my friends, such as one is just as cool as I think I am and the other I need to lend my iPod because he is seriously lacking good taste in music (Ha! But I still think you're the bomb!)

Another reason this was a great conversation is I believe to keep 'em guessing is a wonderful thing, as is the ability to still surprise people. I strive to possess intelligence, style, and grace (hoping Coco and Audrey would be proud) and letting others know they can trust and depend on me.

Then I choose if, when, and who I let in to meet the other sides of me.

Scott singing John...who could ask for anything more?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!