Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Stars Upon Thars...

Thank you, Dr. Seuss!

Recently I became quite concerned over statistics published regarding the education of our youth. Even more concerning than the statistics is the blame game. As I have real questions and earnestly want the thoughts of others (sans jumping on the mud-throwing bandwagon) I chose to go to the bookshelf to educate myself on what can be done. Naturally, I turned to Dr. Seuss.

It must be acknowledged without hesitation, doubt, or wonder that my favorite, favorite Dr. Seuss book is "Oh! The Places You'll Go!" Packed with life lessons, I tend to present this book as a gift to as many people who will accept it. But tonight I chose another favorite, "The Sneetches."  In an effort to understand how one Mom can get a handle on things of this magnitude, I share some thoughts derived from dear Dr. Seuss via The Sneetches.
  1. Whether you have stars upon thars or not, we are all in this together.
  2. Blaming the have's or the have-nots is non-productive and hurts everyone.
  3. It takes one second to say hello to someone unfamiliar; one never knows where a new friend will come from.
  4. Even as an adult it hurts to be ignored and not asked to play.
  5. Coming together for good food, whether it be a frankfurter roast or seven-course meal, can heal many a hurt.
  6. Beware of strangers offering slick solutions...it's great to say hello but even better to know when to keep walking. If it sounds too good to be true...it is.
  7. I don't care how much money you throw at a situation, it is not going to correct the real problem.
  8. In the end, it is only when we all come together we can get to the root of the problem, and eventually, the solution.
  9. In this coming together, harmony will ensue for the greater good.

So there it is...tonight's life lessons thanks to the wonderful Dr. Seuss. And if you're so inclined, enjoy the cartoon ~ it's wonderful!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!