Sunday, January 8, 2012

Ya' Got The Spirit? Let's Hear It...


For someone so small, she sure can belt out the support for her team. For someone who three years ago couldn't tell you one thing about the sport other than the color ball involved and that it gets dribbled, she sure gets excited over three-point shots. And as a protective Mom, she sure get crazy-mad passionate when someone disses one of the players. Did I say she? Sorry...I meant me.

Truly I am a complete sports idiot novice. Aside from running track in high school and cheering Mary Lou Retton on to gymnastics gold back in the day, I could not care less have never held a strong interest in sports. Truthfully, I could never understand why grown men were paid so much money to play a game.

But a few years ago I began following my College's basketball team. And then I found myself in classes with some of the players. And then they went to the NCAA's. And then I actually stayed up past 1:00 in the morning to watch them advance to the next game. I am officially hooked. Perhaps dangerously so...

My children are now hooked. And when I don't get to the live games I am glued to the television when they are aired. If the game is not going well, I have witnessed my children actually back out of the room slowly so as not to cause any sudden movements. This is, of course, amidst me asking to no one in particular, "What just happened? Why did he get fouled? If the other team is stupid enough to run right into him you can't penalize our guy!" Silly me...it turns out you can.

I still have quite a bit to learn. I still need to toughen up the skin a bit. When I read the local blogs and see criticism of the players I get upset. They are just kids for Pete's sake! Leave them alone! Stop picking on the coach! You don't know him and he is a really nice guy! My husband is ready to have me committed...

I get so excited I'm inclined to grab a ball and run out to the driveway to slam dunk, lay-up, and drop three-pointers like a pro. But alas, short and underdeveloped people were not designed to be basketball players. Well, okay, some were...but not this one. So for now I will keep learning the sport, support our players, and cheer loud and proud.

Thank heavens we don't have a football team...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!