Wednesday, November 30, 2011

La Di Da, La Di Da, La La...


I have been a fan of Diane Keaton for as long as I can remember. I mean, c'mon folks, she was Mrs. Michael Corleone! And as Annie Hall, she made neurosis look attractive...


Annie Hall was the first Woody Allen movie I ever saw and was dumbfounded at this insult to my intelligence because how on earth did they ever think I would ever believe someone as attractive as Diane Keaton could be in love with little Woody Allen? Of course, as with most of Woody Allen's work, this now rates as one of the movies I will watch any time I can find it on television, regardless of where I come in. With Annie's "La di da, la di da, la la," I become delusional convinced I really could be the sanest person I know. But alas, the movie eventually comes to an end and reality returns, but I digress...


Two movies that rank on my list of the ten greatest movies of all time, The Godfather I and The Godfather II have such depth to the characters and richness of story...there are no words. I wish I could say the same about The Godfather III, but I can't so don't try to make me. Al Pacino was handsome and aloof while Diane Keaton was tres manifique as Kay Corleone. To this day there is a part of me that feels sad for Kay...did she know Michael was married to Apollonia and she was merely a consolation prize? Regardless, one may wish to believe she was a naive woman content to believe any lies her husband told her, but Diane portrayed Kay as a take-no-nonsense-I-ain't-having-it-I-will-ask-you-about-your-business-I'm-not-going-back-to-Tahoe-with-you strong woman and is completely believable doing so.


And in Something's Gotta Give, Diane owned it. She simply owned it and in my world she made the movie.

So imagine my utter surprise when I stumbled upon this article in the Daily Mail promoting Diane's new book, Then Again.


Come to find out, the neurotic Annie Hall , uptight Murder in Manhattan Carol Lipton, and wishy washy The First Wives Club Annie Paradis may not have been acting at all. In fact, according to the aforementioned article Diane felt like she was just kinda being herself.

She always appears so sure, so confident...but the reviews relay Then Again is heart-wrenching. Yet once again, this just affirms what I have always believed about Ms. Keaton. She seems to emulate self-confidence, I hope to look half as good as she does at her age, she is happier now than she has ever been, and regardless of what we believe, we never truly know what it is to walk in another's shoes. We all have our "stuff." 

Through it all, it cannot be stated better than as relayed within the article. "She seems to be saying: I refuse to be embarrassed and I no longer care what other people think."

La di da, la di da, la la. Sing on, sister...sing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!