Friday, August 31, 2012

I Said Yoga...Not Yoda...


When I first told my husband I was trying yoga he cracked up laughing and said, "Trying what with Yoda? Is the force going to be with you? Coordinated not you are." This was one of those times he should be grateful I am committed to that vow which prevents me from putting the occasional pillow over his head...but it did get me thinking....

While I am admittedly no Star Wars aficionado beyond, "Luke I am your father" and Princess Lea's hamburger-bun-hairdo, like many others I do have a soft spot for the little green squishy guy and his pearls of wisdom. 

"To be Jedi is to face truth, and choose. Give off light, not darkness, Padawan. Be a candle, or the night."

In a world of Walmart shopping, scooter-driving, pants-around-the-knees, texting-while-driving, I-phone-carrying-benefit-recipients, and just plain crazy people, Yoda's advice resounds as a daily mantra. One can choose to point out the problems of the world today or one can be the source of the answers. One can criticize or one can share positive energy. As for me, I will do my best to bathe my environment in light and happiness rather than dwell in eternal darkness...even in Walmart.

 "To answer power with power the Jedi way is not. 
In this war, a danger there is, of losing who we are."

Okay...yes I endeavor to bathe in the light, but I also refuse to battle wits with unarmed opponents. To feel superior to those who possess neither the force or a clue does not make me a better person, so I pray for the strength to be a mentor when I can...even for those I struggle with. I wish this was as easy as swinging my trusty light saber or styling my hair into hamburger buns, but sadly, it is not. For those of us who second-language in sarcasm, this is truly a daily struggle.

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

Yoda's mom must be so proud of her little guy, because it took me over 40 years to get this one. Do not be afraid of what you don't know - admit it, go out, and learn about it. Right now we are in a political climate that overwhelms me...I want to know more and more and more to take back some of the power I have given away to politicians with my lack of knowledge. Who to trust? Who is lying? Is it better to throw up one's hands in surrender, blame all the politicians, and lay awake wondering about debt, retirement, the economy, blaming the haves while condemning the have-nots? This is not the answer...knowledge is the answer. I am not afraid...the force is with me.

"No! Try not. Do, or not. There is no try."

Of all the wisdom Yoda has relayed, this is my favorite. To me it conveys another one of my favorites: Go Big or Go Home. If I am going to do something, I'm going for it big time. If I mess it up, I guarantee you I will mess it up big time. Otherwise, what's the use? If nothing else, it will be memorable.

"When you look at the dark side, careful you must be...for the dark side looks back."

Ah, yes...I know this well. It reminds me of something a wise man told me to think of before I speak: is it true, is it necessary, is it positive, is it helpful? How many times have we let our passions run away with our tongues and condemned another? And then felt remorse? I am ashamed to admit there have been too many times for me to count. If the force is going to truly be with me, I need to resist the dark side and keep it to myself. Not only will this keep the dark side at bay but may also keep Kharma on my side, because we all know how fickle SHE can be. Uh oh...I think I just blew it...

"Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing. How embarrassing."

Well folks, I haven't lost a planet but I seem to have misplaced my car keys and my son needs me to move my car and he is looking at me with the same disdain as Yoda here...so I guess it's time for me to go. I hope you have enjoyed our time together and I have dispelled the Yoga/Yoda confusion. Tomorrow is yoga (I can't wait) and I will breathe through my downward-dog for no other reason than to fulfill Yoda's prophecy:

"When 900 hundred years old you reach, look as good, you will not, hmmmmm?

May the force be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams...I love reading every one of them!